Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What I Haven't Done...and a Christmas Card

November 18th?  Was that really my last post?  Why didn't somebody tell me?  Let's just say it's been a crazy month.  We had some little illnesses, the usual crazy December stuff, college applications, the death of a dearly loved daughter of some dearly loved friends, some company, some back pain...you get the picture.  Lots of life and absolutely no writing about it!  

Can I join all the Christmas decorating parties and tours in January?  Is that allowed?  I had some great ideas for some posts as I was driving around town or at the kids schools or at the doctor's office. But no, those posts never actually happened.

Some other things that never actually happened: 

1. Teacher gifts.  Meant well. Bought darling red snowflake plates at Big Lots and planned to bake a scrumptious assortment of Christmas cookies, wrap them delightfully, and give them to all 1852 of my childrens' teachers.  Didn't Happen.

2. A Garland.  I was oh-so-inspired by the nester's garland party and I really wanted to make one. Didn't Happen.

3. Asparagus.  We had our nice fancy Christmas dinner tonight because my MIL and FIL are here and they're leaving tomorrow for my SIL's house in Virginia.  So I had a lovely dinner: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, rolls....and I forgot the asparagus. I meant to drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper on it, broil it, and present it right as we sat down to dinner. But I forgot and it Didn't Happen.

4.  Exercise.  I was on a pretty good routine. Either walking (with a little running thrown in) or working out at the gym 4-5 times a week.  But I don't think I've done a thing since....well....since my last blog post on November 18th.

I could go on and on.  I love Christmas. I really do.  I love the decorating and the gift-buying and making, and the baking, and the entertaining, and the party-going.  But I'm tired.  That's why God made the New Year right after Christmas I think.  We moms are so exhausted by this point that we need to wipe the slate clean and start over.  A new year, a new exercise plan, a new chance.  A "do-over" if you will.

But before I get all carried away with the new year, let me share my Christmas card with you.  I scanned an old watercolor Christmas card that my grandmother painted years ago.  Every year she painted individual cards for her family and friends. My dad was an only child and there were four of us grandkids. We each got our own personal card.  Most of our cards burned in our moving van fire when we moved to Texas in 1976 (wow...that makes me feel old!) but we had a few. My grandmother died when I was in middle school.  My grandfather lived with us for awhile before he died and at his funeral a dear family friend walked in with a box.  In it were 34 years of Christmas cards painted by my grandmother.  He knew that ours had been destroyed and brought them to us.  That was one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received.

On the inside is I John 3:1 

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should 
be called children of God: and so we are.


No comments: